At the largest scale, it is possible to create an entire site dynamically based on a trigger from a record update.
This would be used in a similar situation to creating a list or library dynamically.
Consider this action when trying to create distinctly different work areas for users that can be managed independently.
Note: This video shows creating Actions with an older version of Ultimate Forms. The process remains the same, but the way you access Ultimate Forms has changed a little.
If you’re in the SharePoint Modern experience, the link for Ultimate Forms will be on the menu bar of your list or library (if it’s not visible, you can also get to Ultimate Forms via the site contents).
The Ultimate Forms home page has a new and improved look.
Verify you’re working in the list or library you want.
To open the Actions feature, click the Actions link in the Business Logic section of the menu. Once you’re in the tool, the process is the same as shown in the video.
- Use the Create Site action.
- Trigger the action only on New.
- Hide the action from users.
- Use the Impersonation setting, otherwise the action will fail because users will not have the rights to create a subsite.
- Choose the Site Name and URL carefully each should follow a consitent convention and should always be unique.
- The Team Site template is the most common and useful for this type of rule.
- Verify the action after setup to ensure the expected results.
In Office 365
actions are hidden from the users by default. In this case, simply leave "Manual execution" unselected. Also the "Column Name" selection is not present in Office 365. The interface looks slightly different as shown:
At a fundamental level, sites are a simple means to organize content in a heirarchical manner. This is in many ways similar to create sub folders or subsites on an internet site or intranet site. Individual sites can be managed independently from each other and it is easier to manage user permissions at a site level rather than being forced to use more granular permissions at a library level or item level.
9/24/2019 8:14 PM